Friday, December 1, 2017

Using Staple Pieces to Cut Down on Consumption

When I first started going "full time" sustainable, my bedroom was overflowing with pieces that never saw the light of day. With such cheap options at the thrift shops, my eyes became bigger than my closet and I ended up overwhelmed, drowning in impractical clothing. Not to say the eccentric isn't the way to go, I've always taken solace in the impractical, but when building a wardrobe, the ultimate route for convenience, and ultimately your sanity when getting dressed, is relying on trusted staple pieces.

Creating a rolodex of staple pieces won't only cut down on stress when it comes to choosing an outfit in a rush, but provide a foundation for the more treasured textiles, along with cutting down on your clothing consumption. Before really structuring this out, I'd felt the need to overcompensate and overbought piles of clothing, only to come out frustrated when I couldn't fully flesh out everyday outfits.

Though this is really customizable towards one's style and comfort level, here are a few of my personal staples and recs for supporting a balanced wardrobe:


xDoc Martens

There are no shoe I love more than my Docs. Ever since falling in love with my first pair* almost four years ago, I've developed quite the collection but always go back to these maroon classics, that I wear nearly everyday. Surprisingly, the color goes with most of the variety of colors I tend to don and can either be a statement piece or muted cog amongst others depending on the ensemble. Also they're just so comfortable (at least once broken in) and practical for walking constantly in. I've never identified as a "shoe person" per say but these are truly my babies.

(ps: I honestly would deem Doc Martens as an "ethical" brand since they provide livable wages- if you want to go through their code of conduct here and decide for yourself- if you're still shaky/unsure, Docs are incredibly easy to find secondhand)

*black classics that I put bubblegum pink laces in- in 9th grade, I had the members of As It Is sign with silver Sharpie on the toes. From 8th-10th grade, I wore these EVERYWHERE and absolutely killed them to the point that the leather feels like a sock material from being through so many adventures.


xThe Easy Jean

My love for this is all in the name. Though a little bit of an investment ($68, I however got mine on sale), I've completely paid these babies off. The fit is Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants level flattering on every body and is the high waisted cut of my dreams- also a little liberal to call these "denim" with the incredibly stretchy fabric. Though I'm guilty of owning way too many jeans I hardly wear, I love just being able to slip these on with anything if I'm not feeling up to it to creating a complex look.

ft this beautiful sleepwear shirt i'd thrifted for $1- thx for making me feel like harry styles

xCorduroy Flares

As seemingly unpractical these sound, I find myself wearing these babies at least once a week. What's so great about them is their borderline eccentricity in that I can make these the main attraction and not feel bad about tucking a simple graphic tee into them. Not to mention the comfort factor- though not as versatile as my beloved easy jeans, I still bless the day I bought these on a whim in a charity shop ($7!).


xDelicate Necklaces

I wear both these Verameat pieces literally everyday (Sweet Tooth and Lucky Wishbone Choker) and simple as they are, they make all my outfits look so much more put together. I couldn't recommend Verameat enough honestly, though these were both slight investments (I'd highly rec waiting for a sale as I did), they've held up amazingly and are all handmade in Brooklyn (along with literally everyone who works at their storefronts being incredible) and feel it's worth it putting extra cash towards ethical business that take care of their customers as well as Verameat does.


xBlack Beret

This particular one is actually stolen from my mother, much to her frustration. I've just fallen so in love with the simplicity and classic look of the color and shape (a little bigger than my head size, leading to a softer look) even though I've developed a small beret collection of my own (most of which coming from off the streets of St Marks). With my current fascination with Parisian street style and unruly hair, these french headpieces have really helped out my mundane outfits and far too voluminous bangs.


xThe Denim Jacket

I honestly have several of these but this oversized light wash one I'd picked up at No Relation remains my go-to. Denim jackets are amazing because they're timeless, can be easily paired with anything, and meld to anyone's personal style. Though I'd originally bought this during the spring to be a light jacket to throw over tanks and dresses, it's become an all year round fixture layered over thin down jackets, sweaters, and cardigans.

the front button had sadly fallen off but a safety pin has been doing a pretty fair job in place of it

xDenim Skirt

It definitely took a couple misses, but I've finally found the denim skirt of my dreams and ever since pulling it from a Goodwill Outlet (post on the matter coming soon), I've barely parted with the vintage Gap piece. Denim skirts are a true balance between femininity and practicality in this, with blouses and tee shirts and all the like being tucked into my own- just such an easy throw on if I'm not feeling pants/want to put in a little extra effort but not go the full nine yards.

Finding one's staples is undoubtedly a process, but with it comes a sense of self awareness in a wardrobe along with helping create a foundation for a more unified look. Once you find what you gravitate towards or lack when getting dressed in the morning, gaining a sense of clarity is a lot easier, along with cutting back on the constant over-shopping in order to satisfy these needs.

much love, 
Annie Louise 




No comments:

Post a Comment